Cheesy chicken chowder
Dinner tonight, March 27, 2015
Delicious and tasteful soup, great if you have a cold
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cup pre-cooked, chicken, chopped
- 2 stalk celery, finely chopped (feel free to add more celery if you like celery; I don't, so I don't add much)
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth (I usually use a mixture of low-sodium chicken broth and broth made with chicken soup base because it gives it such nice flavor)
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- ½ cup water
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
1) Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, leek and celery and sauté over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
2) Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
3) Add milk and broccoli and chicken and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through. Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.