Moroccan lamb with roasted vegetables
21/03/15 Filed in: Lamb
Dinner tonight, March 21, 2015
Make your whole home smell wonderful and exotic. If using a meat thermometer ill recommend the center temperature to be 62º-63ºC, let it rest uncovered for 10 minutes before carving into it.
- 2.2 kg (5lb) leg of lamb
- 75 g butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- MOROCCAN-SPICED ROASTED VEGETABLES
- 1 kg shallots, halved (or quartered if large)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50 g unsalted butter, cut into bits
1) Preheat the oven to a hot 220°C / 425°F. With a sharp knife, cut small deep slits in the top and sides of the lamb.
2) Mix all the Mechoui ingredients (besides the lamb!) in a bowl to get a smooth paste.
3) With the back of a spoon, rub the paste all over the lamb, then use your fingers to spread the paste and make sure the lamb is all covered.
4) Put the lamb, bone-side down, in a deep baking dish and put on the top shelf of the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. then baste and return to the oven. Reduce the temperature to 150°C / 300°F. Bake for 20 minutes.
5) Meanwhile toss together all the Moroccan-spiced roasted vegetable ingredients (except the butter) together and divide into 2 large shallow baking pans. Dot the vegetables with the butter and place in the oven along with the lamb after the 20 minutes are up. Baste the lamb.
6) Cook the lamb and vegetables for a further 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes to make the lamb flavoursome and tender.
7) Carve the lamb into chunky pieces with a generous helping of the vegetables.